Monday, November 2, 2009

Modern Meat Eater


(My cousin Ron and his creative burger making technique. Note my arm next to him...I'm busy making my own burger. Ron participated in the Facebook conversation)


I had an interesting Facebook conversation this past week on eating meat. I read an article on CNN.com about Jonathan Safran Foer's upcoming book: "Eating Animals." The link to factory farming, flu, and the environment.


To pull out a highlight:

We need a better way to talk about eating animals, a way that doesn't ignore or even just shruggingly accept things like habits, cravings, family and history but rather incorporates them into the conversation. The more they are allowed in, the more able we will be to follow our best instincts. And although there are many respectable ways to think about meat, there is not a person on Earth whose best instincts would lead him or her to factory farming. My book, "Eating Animals," addresses factory farming from numerous perspectives: animal welfare, the environment, the price paid by rural communities, the economic costs. In two essays, I will share some of what I've learned about how the way we raise animals for food affects human health.

I'm not at the point where I really want to be a vegetarian: I enjoy meat dishes a great deal. However, I must admit that there are serious problems in the meat industry: ethical problems about the treatment of animals, as well as problems that result in medical problems for humans, and environmental issues. I want to take this seriously.


So, below is my Facebook post, and the comments that followed. There are some great suggestions for books and additional links.


Kurt C. Wiesner I've never REALLY tried to stop eating meat, but I feel like the other option is to really learn where the meat & dairy I eat comes from. Do I have that much time & energy to build those relationships???

October 28 at 11:34am · ·
Cynthia McKenna
Cynthia McKenna
Have you read animal, vegetable, miracle by barbara kingsolver?
October 28 at 11:39am · Delete
Cathy Devine
Cathy Devine
Also try Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan but not when you are sitting down to a hamburger! I'd loan it to you but its on my Kindle. Both books are great.
October 28 at 11:44am · Delete
Lynda Hally Baumer
Lynda Hally Baumer
just had some fresh goose last night...it came from Mother Nature!
October 28 at 11:45am · Delete
Cynthia McKenna
Cynthia McKenna
I just saw that Omnivore's Dilemma is now available in a "children's book" though it reads more for 12 & up. I was actually thinking of getting it instead of the Big Person's Omnivore's Dilemma :)
October 28 at 11:47am · Delete
Kurt C. Wiesner
Kurt C. Wiesner
Cynthia & Cathy: I've looked through both books, but have not read them cover to cover. I also have Pollan's "In Defense of Food" and the movie "Food, Inc." on my radar...
October 28 at 11:52am · Delete

Ron Bertram
Ron Bertram
If it tastes good and satisfies your cravings, then who cares ! www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28bacon.html.
October 28 at 12:00pm · Delete
Lisa Webb
Lisa Webb
Good question - I feel the same way
October 28 at 12:08pm · Delete
Kurt C. Wiesner
Kurt C. Wiesner
Boy, Ron...I understand that! However, check out the link to Foer's new book...there's cost for ourselves as well as others (and I just don't mean NYC prices!!!
October 28 at 12:08pm · Delete
Kurt C. Wiesner
Kurt C. Wiesner
Lynda: local hunting goose? Or farmed Goose? Raised on an open, organic farm (as in the past), or force fed food & antibiotics. The truth is: I don't KNOW where things i eat comes from, and I'm pretty sure it does make a difference.
October 28 at 12:13pm · Delete
Lynda Hally Baumer
Lynda Hally Baumer
Migration only...not farm raised. Been fed what's provided to them by Mother Nature on their way south. Tasty too. Our fav...bacon wrapped duck grilled on skewers! mmm.
October 28 at 12:30pm · Delete
Lynda Hally Baumer
Lynda Hally Baumer
Served with home grown potatoes of course!
October 28 at 12:33pm · Delete
Melissa Sablack Gonzalez
Melissa Sablack Gonzalez
Kurt, check out www.eatwild.com for local resources.
October 28 at 2:09pm · Delete
Grace Burson
Grace Burson
Way up there in the north country can't you just walk out your front door and bag a moose? ;-)
October 28 at 3:38pm · Delete
Patricia Laurino
Patricia Laurino
The more and more I read and research the more I'm convinced I need to join my nieces as vegetarians!
October 28 at 4:02pm · Delete
Cynthia McKenna
Cynthia McKenna
Junk Food as addictive as heroin - study claims. http://bit.ly/5AGJE
October 28 at 5:01pm · Delete
Rachel Webb
Rachel Webb
I just finished reading Animal Vegetable Miracle and am partway through Omnivores Dilemma - both are good reads and have good info. I've cut back on meat and try to get better quality food as the budget allows.
October 28 at 5:24pm · Delete
Meg Dedolph
Meg Dedolph
You know, Kurt, eating less meat is not that hard. There are lots of delicious things you probably already eat that don't have meat. Consider the cuisines of Mexico, Italy and India for starters. Lots of tasty options there. We're not meatless, but we're less-meat, and try to buy the better stuff when we do.
October 28 at 5:30pm · Delete
Anne Dickert
Anne Dickert
I can understand your thoughts.... but never stopped me from being a carnivore. Although, I'm about 50/50 on the carnivore/vegetarian scale. Omnivore's Dilemma and Botany of Desire are both excellent books. Michael Pollan's style is great. Is the question meat vs. vegetarian or whether or not the whole food chain/cycle is sustainable and is good for you?
October 28 at 7:19pm · Delete
Kurt C. Wiesner
Kurt C. Wiesner
the latter Anne: sustainable and good for me. I would add that there is an ethical thing as well about animals spending their entire lives in cramped cages.
October 28 at 8:06pm · Delete
Kurt C. Wiesner
Kurt C. Wiesner
I posted this link to start this conversation, but those who are on "status updates" might have missed it. http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/10/28/opinion.jonathan.foer/index.html
October 28 at 8:10pm · Delete
Helen Svoboda-Barber
Helen Svoboda-Barber
It's really not that hard to get all your meat from local sources. Find a farmer or two at www.localharvest.org and get acquainted.
I get local beef, chicken and eggs delivered to my door, and can drive 10 miles to get local pork.
October 28 at 9:25pm · Delete
Carmela Crandall
Carmela Crandall
I was a vegetarian for seven years and I eat meat now, but I notice I'm still open to eating vegetables more than most people.
October 29 at 12:23pm · Delete


1 comment:

Fran said...

I missed this on FB. Thanks for sharing it here. I spent 18 months as a vegetarian, before being diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies. I knew myself well enough to know that living in rural MI (and now rural NH) I couldn't survive as a vegan - not with the amount of time I spend traveling to small towns and eating in diners there!

I found both _The Omnivore's Dilemma_ and _Animal, Vegetable, Miracle_ to be helpful to me as I work out my own relationship to my food sources.

Thanks for sharing this conversation!