Friday, November 22, 2013

Be kind to those remembering JFK's assassination


Today is the 50 year anniversary of JFK's assassination.

There are a lot of people remembering not just what happened, but specifically where THEY were when they heard the news.

There are some who are negatively remarking about these personal remembrances, as if to say with snark, "it's not about you".

Having been born in 1972, I have no personal memory of JFK's assassination.  But I do remember where I was when I heard that the Challenger had exploded...and that the planes had been crashed into the Twin Towers.  I know that there is something about those two events that, for me, I will always remember where I was, and why the world seemed different from then on.   

This kind of thing matters to our being community.

Be kind and patient today with those who are remembering:  listen to their stories, and understand that you share this moment with them...even if it happened before you were born.

No comments: